The Horseshoe Tour Forum
Clarksville Tournament - Printable Version

+- The Horseshoe Tour Forum (http://thehorseshoetour.com/OurForum)
+-- Forum: Open Forum (http://thehorseshoetour.com/OurForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Open Discussion (http://thehorseshoetour.com/OurForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Clarksville Tournament (/showthread.php?tid=51)

Clarksville Tournament - Larry Mac - 05-27-2016

I want to thank all the people that worked so hard getting the courts dried up after the rain on Friday. The people of Clarksville should be proud of there facilities they are super. There wasn't any rain the rest of the weekend and things turned out great. Something I would like to discuss is after you have your 4 player field fixed for Sunday why not let the loser of the  first round play each other for 3rd and 4 place. It wouldn't make the tournament run any longer and the loser from the first round would get to play at least 2 more games. Just something to think about.

Larry Mac

RE: Clarksville Tournament - cobbler - 05-28-2016

Hi Larry,

Thanks for all the kind words about the Clarksville event... I agree that those there in Clarksville who helped dry up the much really deserve a great thanks form all who played there.  It did hinder the start of play on Saturday, but without them, there may have bee no play at all, as the courts were soaked and flooded from the super heavy rains the days beforehand.

We've been down this road before in adding games to Sunday's play... tried full out consolation brackets... the whole works.  The bottom line is that most players just want to get on the road on Sundays and since they aren't playing for much difference when it comes to 3rd and 4th, well, we just evened it out and finished it right there.  I know it's only two or maybe three games for the loser, but the losers do have another option if they really want to play more... win two of those first three games!  It's kind of a cut throat situation in that first match... the pressure is really on both players and that's how we want it.  You're all going to face elimination... it's inevitable, and yes, sometimes, it's going to be after just a couple games on Sunday... those are the breaks!

I'm sure Ron Taylor could add more details to explaining why we do it the way we do it now... it's kind of a come full circle thing.

RE: Clarksville Tournament - Larry Mac - 05-28-2016

(05-28-2016, 03:11 AM)cobbler Wrote: Hi Larry,

Thanks for all the kind words about the Clarksville event... I agree that those there in Clarksville who helped dry up the much really deserve a great thanks form all who played there.  It did hinder the start of play on Saturday, but without them, there may have bee no play at all, as the courts were soaked and flooded from the super heavy rains the days beforehand.

We've been down this road before in adding games to Sunday's play... tried full out consolation brackets... the whole works.  The bottom line is that most players just want to get on the road on Sundays and since they aren't playing for much difference when it comes to 3rd and 4th, well, we just evened it out and finished it right there.  I know it's only two or maybe three games for the loser, but the losers do have another option if they really want to play more... win two of those first three games!  It's kind of a cut throat situation in that first match... the pressure is really on both players and that's how we want it.  You're all going to face elimination... it's inevitable, and yes, sometimes, it's going to be after just a couple games on Sunday... those are the breaks!

I'm sure Ron Taylor could add more details to explaining why we do it the way we do it now... it's kind of a come full circle thing.
I agree you don't want a long day on Sunday as most players want to get a good start home, but playing the loser bracket wouldn't change  the length of the tournament sense the winners would be playing at the same time.

RE: Clarksville Tournament - hawgjaw47 - 05-31-2016

Larry, Bobby hit the nail on the head, for every one player who wants to play that extra match on Sunday, there's a dozen who wants to get on the road to get back home, and there's just not enough difference in the payout to justify holding players who have technically been eliminated, for another hour of two. You mentioned that it would take the same amount of time to play an additional match, that's not exactly true. In a perfect tournament where everyone started and finished at exactly the same time, meaning every winner won in two games, or all matches went three games, then you are right, but a number of times we were staying late on Sunday because consolation matches went way longer than the championship match. The reason would be one match endied in two games, and others going three, or slow play, or matches going to sudden death, and with all the final fours now, (every prime player playing on Sunday), I'm guessing it would happen a lot more than the old format. We like to showcase the final match with the two winners playing for the championships in each final four, and in some cases that just didn't happen. In addition to that, we have to keep the score keepers for these matches, and that's hard enough, as you know. As a staff, we have to consider the whole event, not just one final four, but it's a good question Larry, thanks.

Ron