Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!
Hello all, I was just browsing around looking for some nice horseshoes and stumbled upon the Horseshoe Tour, and I must say I'm impressed, I had no idea there was any kind of tour out there for horseshoes.  I guess I'm just curious to know how to get started on my journey to being the Tour Champion, I've played a lot in my life and I think if I practiced hard I might be able to compete and maybe kick a couple butts!  What do I have to do to qualify?  I see you have a tournament in Erie, PA coming up, is that something I could still get in, I don't live too far from there, might be fun to meet you all!

Cheers in advance!

--HSJ
Welcome to the Horseshoe Tour Forum... Well, you seem to know the basics on horseshoes and I'm guessing you've learned how to throw a few ringers... getting started in Horseshoe Tour play is not complicated. It sounds to me like you're starting from scratch here in the organized sport of horseshoes.  Well, the first thing you need is an NHPA membership.  If you are near Erie, PA, then you are probably in PA, OH or NY.  You can find the links to those state NHPA charter websites here and you can obtain a membership easily from your state's secretary/treasurer:

http://www.horseshoepitching.com/links/links2.html

Once you're a member, you'll need to get started on establishing a NAtStat tournament average, which you'll need to be able to play in Horseshoe Tour tournaments.  So, you'll have to enter and pitch in some NHPA tournaments to get an established average.  If your first tournament is going to be one of ours, that's fine, but you'll have to go through an official 100 shoe qualifying session to do so.  We can help you with that if needed.

The entry deadline for the Erie tournament is now just eight days away.  I would suggest you look over the tournament entry form and information sheet for Erie to get an idea of what one of our events is like:

http://thehorseshoetour.com/wp423/wp-con...ieInfo.pdf

I suggest you do some practicing and test yourself by counting how many ringers you get out of 100 shoes pitched... then you'll know approximately what your entering ringer percentage will be and what division you'll fit into best for this tournament.  We'd love to have you join us in Erie and if you have any more questions regarding that specific event, just ask them in the topic here about that tournament.  Don't forget, though, you've only got about a week to do all this, so let us know if you need any help with any of it.  Your state sec/treas should also be able to assist with all this, including the tournament qualifying.
Cobbler,

Thanks for your informative reply, when I get home tonight I'll go out and count a hundred and see what happens, but just as an estimation, I'd guess I'm throwing 6 or 7 out of ten pretty regularly. I think that would put me solidly in the prime division if I understand everything correctly. Again, that's just a guess, but if I'm right, where would that put me? Any chance of winning or am I just not good enough yet? I don't want to enter and just get embarrassed, I want to have a chance at the title! So I guess the big question is what kind of percentage do you think it will take to win?
(06-07-2016, 07:44 PM)HorShuJitsu Wrote: Cobbler,

Thanks for your informative reply, when I get home tonight I'll go out and count a hundred and see what happens, but just as an estimation, I'd guess I'm throwing 6 or 7 out of ten pretty regularly.  I think that would put me solidly in the prime division if I understand everything correctly.  Again, that's just a guess, but if I'm right, where would that put me?  Any chance of winning or am I just not good enough yet?  I don't want to enter and just get embarrassed, I want to have a chance at the title!  So I guess the big question is what kind of percentage do you think it will take to win?
It's a little hard to answer that without knowing your pitching distance. So, do you pitch from 30 feet or 40 feet or, are you like something out of the King Pin movie and pitch at some weird distance like 50 or 25 or 15 feet? (Forgive my sarcasm, sometimes I can't resist!)
If it was like Kingpin.....wouldn't it be 60 feet or 45 feet?....I'm hoping to meet this cat,sounds very interesting